Exercise is a great way to reduce stress, release endorphins and feel great about yourself. However, be careful when exercising in the summer. The combination of exercise and heat increases your core body temperature and decreases the blood circulation to the muscles you’re using. Because of this strain and potential dehydration, you may get headaches more frequently. It’s very hot and humid here in Coastal NC, but I don’t let that stop me from staying fit in the Summer time! I still exercise daily, but I have to make sure that I follow some very important advice when I do!
Here is some very good advice from Kathy Kaehler, a Fitness Expert who has appeared in numerous shows and publications, and has even been trainer to the stars!
- You can’t always control the weather, but there are plenty of triggers you can easily keep in check by understanding what they are and how to combat them.
- Here are some headache triggers you might run into while exercising in the warm weather, along with some tips to stay cool and keep these triggers at bay:
- Be Flexible with Your Routine: Exercise in the morning instead of on hot afternoons. Stay indoors when humidity is high instead of working out outside. During the hot summer months, wear thin, breathable clothes while exercising outdoors and test out classes in a gym as opposed to outdoor workouts.
- Dehydration: Be sure to stay hydrated by drinking water before, during and after your workout. Try to refrain from drinking beverages that leave you parched, such as soda and excessive amounts of caffeine or alcohol. After your workout, moisturize your skin to keep your whole body hydrated.
- Light: Wear sunglasses or a baseball cap when exercising outside. Take frequent breaks in the shade or in cooler areas. Try not to embark on that 10-mile run on the hot asphalt during the brightest (and most scorching) part of the day, when light is reflecting at you from all angles.
I can’t always avoid my headaches, especially during the summer; so when I get one, I take Excedrin® Extra Strength to help get me get back on track. Excedrin® is a trusted brand with more than 50 years’ experience providing effective headache relief. I’ve used it for years, and it has more often than not, knocked my headache out so I can get back to doing the things I need to do!
Excedrin® Extra Strength is a combination pain reliever – acetaminophen/aspirin/caffeine – that provides temporary relief of headaches. Use only as directed.
This month, Excedrin is giving away a really COOL Summer Stress Relief Package! It includes a Gym/Beach Bag, Towel, Halo II Pullover Headband, and a Water Misting Fan! I got one too, and it’s definitely very COOL!!! Want to win for yourself?? Check out the Rafflecopter below!
This post sponsored by Excedrin. I am being paid for my time on this post and giveaway. Any opinions, as always, are my own.