I am not a florist, nor have I ever been. I just want to say that right up front. When the Walmart Moms went to Bentonville a couple of months ago, we had the chance to work with a professional who showed us some of the tricks of the trade, and make our own floral arrangements. We learned just how easy it is to make a bouquet or two of flowers look like something you could get at a flower shop. Check it out!
Here’s what you need to make the flower arrangement I made:
1. Vase (any size/shape will do)
2. Wet Floral Foam (Make sure it says “wet” on the package. Dry foam is only for artificial arrangements!)
3. 4 bags of cranberries (or as many as you need to fill your vase)
4. Small food storage container (Must fit in the opening of your vase, and not fall through)
5. Pruners or flower cutting scissors
6. Flowers! I used two bouquets of roses.
7. Greenery (The bushes in my front yard needed pruning, so I used it in my arrangement!)
8. Decorative picks (optional)
Here’s the Steps:
1. Pour the cranberries into the vase, filling it almost all the way up. You can use other fillers like peppers, lemons, anything that you’d like! You can use whatever is seasonal!
2. Soak the wet foam in a dish full of water. Pour the water in first, and set the foam on top. It will sink as it draws in water. The dish should be about as tall as your foam brick.
3. Once your foam brick has soaked through, cut it to fit into your container. You want it to fit snugly in your container.
4. Place the container in the top of the vase. Push it down until it’s secure and won’t fall through.
5. Snip each stem about 4-6 inches from the flower bud, cutting at a sharp angle.
6. Push your flower into the foam. Do NOT wiggle, or pull the stem out and put it back in the same hole. You will break the seal with the wet foam, and the flower will not hold properly. If you feel that you need to reposition the flower, you will need to push it into a new location.
7. Rotate your vase as you place your flowers to help ensure even placement.
8. Continue adding flowers and greenery until the foam is no longer visible. I couldn’t find greenery at my local store, so I used clipping from the bushes in my front yard! It worked out great!
9. To add a little pizzazz, I used some of the large picks that I found in the Christmas Decor section at Walmart! I used the red swirly glitter sticks and the gold wire glitter sticks.
I actually got quite a few compliments on this flower arrangement, and I happy to say that I did it! To me, it was pretty easy, and it looked like something that came from a florist shop, the only difference is that my arrangement cost a whole lot less than what I would’ve paid at a florist shop! This is a great way to add some festive flair to your dinner table, or anywhere in your home. This also makes a great gift for someone!
I’d love to see your arrangements if you give this a try!
I am a participant in the Walmart Moms program. Walmart provided me with compensation for my time and efforts on this post. Participation in this program is voluntary. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.